Wednesday, July 10, 2013

WIPs (under the wire) Wednesday

I can just get in my WIPs today under the wire -

It's 11:33 PM here in Albuquerque and I'm watching YouTube videos on putting in zippers and sewing bags. I found a great bag here and hope that I can follow the tutorial and have it be my first bag.

I'm not actively working on sewing anything, although I have tons of things in my head that I want to make. I'd really like to make a little quilted/zippered pouch for my MILs Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet. I did make her a knitted button pouch for it
it will look much better once it's blocked.
I'm also learning a new way to knit socks. I recently came into five skeins of really nice sock yarn. It was given to me by a friend who is going to be a traveling nurse for the next two years. She sold her house and gave away/sold most of her things, since she won't have a home for a while. She gave me lots of acrylic yarn that she had around, but when she opened the box with the wool sock yarn and other hand-dyed, Peruvian yarn offerings the caveat was that I could have the yarn if I made her one pair of socks. I told her that I would make her a pair of socks from each sock yarn. I knitted a pair that didn't quite match up, but they were okay - then my goat of a puppy decided to snack on them in the night. I'm now working on a pair of orange/cream stripey toe-up socks. I have never made toe-up socks, but I like that I don't have to worry about running out of yarn for the important bits.
I'm not always a fan of the self-striping yarn, but this is cute.
 I really want to get over to Michael's to pick up some super-long, #2 circulars so that I can work my toe-up socks two at a time with a magic loop. Now, if you are not a knitter that just sounds like a lot of gobbledy-gook, but two at a time, toe up socks using the magic loop are awesome because you don't have to suffer from second sock syndrome (which I am inflicted). I get so excited as I'm making the first sock. Then I finish and it's like... what? I have to make another one?!? UGH! I don't wanna. I wanna do something else!!!  I figure if I make them at the same time, I will save myself a relapse of my sickness.

Tomorrow I'm going to take photos of my quilt pattern and post to Moda for the bakeshop. I really hope my pattern gets chosen. It's a major goal of mine to be published this year. I still have some months left, but the sooner the better.

I'm also working on a paper-pieced block for my bee(ful) of paper. For some reason, it was really hard and I've had to take it apart to resew the pieces together. I was going to make two blocks from the fabric Queenie sent, but I just couldn't do it. I almost didn't make one - this month has been a chore for some reason. I'm going to write a post about when paper-piecing goes horribly wrong.
the pieces

so sew frustrating when it doesn't work out right.
Linking up with Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday.



5 comments:

  1. Usually sewing is what comforts me when other parts of life don't go right (like when both my toddler boys decide that waving their yogurt tubes around is hilarious... and I just wiped down all the white cupboards).

    So it's REALLY hard when it's the sewing that goes wrong! Put it down and it might not seem so bad in a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about that kid waving food thing. And always just after I've mopped the floor or something.

      Yes. I had to put the paper piece block down for awhile. I think that's why I have so many knitting projects.

      Delete
  2. Paper piecing always seems to require too much thinking for my liking! Hope you can figure it all out soon. Looking forward to seeing your first bag make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can usually get into a groove with it, though. If I had been using my own fabric, I don't think it would've been a problem, but since the Queen
      Bee mailed out the fabric... I don't know. I just didn't feel like I had enough fabric - I guess I'm just not that good at paper piecing yet. I wonder if I'll ever feel like I've mastered it?

      I'm very excited about making a bag. ;)

      Delete
  3. I want to see how your toe-up-2-at-a-time experiment goes. I have a DPN deficiency, as in, I apparently can't use them for spit, so I use circs for all sleeves socks etc. I bought the toe-up-2-at-a-time book, but haven't yet managed to sit down and actually read it.

    LOVE LOVE that sock yarn. With the dots?! IN the stripes! Dying over here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments. I really appreciate that you took the time out of your busy schedule to write me a little note. I will do my best to respond to each and every comment that you leave me. Thanks again, and have a wonderful-stupendous-really excellent day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...